photo Header_zps3e95629b.png

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Slips through the Cracks

Nix the worst dressed Oscars post. I was swamped with work yesterday, and no one wants to see another picture of Charlize Theron's dress where the designer strategically placed weird swirls of fabric along her boobs or Zoe Saldana in a flamenco skirt. So over it!.


Sometimes things just hit me, and remind me to pull out the file from that time in my life from the filing cabinet in my brain. I was perusing Target last night after work to see if the Lady Gaga cd had gone on sale, which it hasn't by the way, and yes, i'm old school. i still buy cds and I noticed Jack Johnson had a new cd out titled En Concert. It was on sale for $9.99, and it happens to be a compilation of some of his best songs throughout the years recorded during his 2008 Sleep Through the Static tour. So, I popped it in, and when I heard "Constellations" featuring Eddie Vedder, it just all came back. It reminded me of Summer, windows down, sunglasses on, sunroof open, blasting music til it made my ears hurt, singing at the top of my lungs with my friends, lazy days, endless college nights, and just that feeling you get when it's the first warm day of the year where all of these things happen. I remember traveling to concerts, riding around, going out downtown, and all the endless times we blasted Jack Johnson during that time in my life. It's weird how you'll forget these things, and then you'll hear something or run into someone, and it's like it all comes back....

"Constellations"

The light was leaving

In the west it was blue

The children's laughter sang

And skipping just like the stones they threw

Their voices echoed across the way

Its getting late



It was just another night

With a sunset

And a moonrise not so far behind

To give us just enough light

To lay down underneath the stars

Listen to papas translations

Of the stories across the sky

We drew our own constellations



The west winds often last too long

The wind may calm down

Nothing ever feels the same

Sheltered under the Kamani tree

Waiting for the passing rain

Clouds keep moving to uncover the scene

Stars above us chasing the day away

To find the stories that we sometimes need

Listen close enough

All else fades

Fades away



It was just another night

With a sunset

And a moonrise not so far behind

To give us just enough light

To lay down underneath the stars

Listen to all the translations

Of the stories across the sky

We drew our own constellations

6 comments:

Kieran said...

Jack Johnson is from Hawaii. I think that's so cool, I never knew that. Your blog is really cute!

katie lake said...

I used to be all about Jack. I had every one of his CDs, including the sound tracks. If you need anymore let me know. Yes I even have the Curious George sountrack. All of his songs bring you back to a place and a time.

chelsea said...

Jack definitely knows how to help you escape to another place. I just adore his music.

Amy Green @ Sweet Home Amy said...

I LOVE Jack Johnson! I listen to him all the time. Hope you are well darling!

Jess said...

i still buy cd's too and then download them to my itunes account, i have found some great songs this way. i may have to give this jack johnson a listen -sounds interesting.

i'm having my first ever give*away if you are interested :)

Ruth said...

I still buy cds too.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin