photo Header_zps3e95629b.png

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Southern LIving: Heirloom Recipe Cookbook review

"The food we love from the times we treasure." -on the front cover of Southern Living's Heirloom Cookbook.  I couldn't agree more. I treasure an old notebook full of my grandmother's recipes. I've tried a few, and well, she was from a generation of a pinch of this and a dash of that. She didn't really "measure" things. She passed away when I was a teenager, and I was too young to appreciate her culinary skills to learn exact measurements of things. 

When YC Media asked if I'd like to review this cookbook, I jumped at the chance. I love Southern Living, and this cookbook does not disappoint! 


Title: Southern Living Heirloom Recipe Cookbook: The Food We Love from the Times We          Treasure
Writer: Marian Cooper Cairns
Publisher: Oxmoor House


The book opens with Cocktail Hour. The first recipe is for Iced Tea which is a southern staple, and there is no doubt why it's the first recipe in the book! Not only does the Heirloom Recipe Cookbook include Iced Tea and Refreshing Lemonade recipes, it also includes the Bloody Mary [you know when you're not feeling so hot at Sunday brunch;)] to an Orange-Champagne Cocktail to the Mint Julep [for that Derby party you're throwing]. 

The next category is "Cherished Breads." Since I have just returned from the beach, I cannot begin to fathom how excited I am to try the Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes from this section!

The other categories included are Memorable Mains, All the Fixin's, Blue-Ribbon Desserts, Holiday Traditions, The Larder, and my favorite Covered Dish Classics.

I love the Covered Dish Classics because they are one dish meals. Think potlucks at work, baby/bridal showers, things new parents can freeze, etc. Included are recipes such as Cheesy Chicken Tetrazzini, Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings, Chicken-Pecan Quiche, Shepherd's Pie, She-Crab soup, and so many more.  


And since I'm sure I have your mouth watering, here's one recipe from the book: 


Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes

Prep Time: 21 minutes
Total Time: 33 minutes
Serving: 18 mini crab cakes

Ingredients: 
1 lb. lump crabmeat, drained
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire pepper
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise, divided
4 saltine crackers, crushed
Paprika
Lemon wedges
Garnish: freshly chopped chives

Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pick crabmeat, removing any bits of shell.
 
2. Whisk egg in a medium bowl. Whisk in parsley flakes, next 3 ingredients, 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise, and        3/4 tsp. Old Bay seasoning. Gently stir in crabmeat and cracker crumbs. Shape crab mixture into 18
     (1 1/2-inch) patties. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.

3. Stir together remaining 5 Tbsp. mayonnaise and 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning; spread on crab cakes, and     sprinkle with paprika. 

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until golden brown. (Do not overbake.) Serve with lemon 
   wedges. Garnish, if desired.




I think this cookbook is lovely, and you should definitely check it out! 
FYI-this cookbook is rated 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon right now:)
 photo Signature_zps23e90dda.png
Scentsy

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin